Fortune favours the brave? Helping SMEs access the right legal support
What defines success in business? For some, it’s bringing to market a niche product that offers value to customers; others may be focused on international diversification; while running a profitable business with honesty and integrity will resonate with most.
Whatever it means for you, next week, aspiring entrepreneurs, established business owners and those simply curious about enterprise will have the chance to gain valuable insight into how to start and grow their own businesses.
We’ll be on hand too at the free Elevator UK and Business Gateway BeBrave! event at Pittodrie on 3 October, which comprises a series of workshops, inspirational talks and networking opportunities where delegates can swap ideas and discuss lessons learned.
And that support’s needed. Business Gateway figures show tens of thousands of customers across Scotland used the business advice service last year, with the number of new enterprises created with that support reaching almost 9,100.
The legal perspective
Whether it’s having the right processes in place to help your business thrive; to protect and defend your commercial success; or ensure compliance with legislation such as employment law, the right legal advice is invaluable.
We work with the full range of businesses, from entrepreneurial start-ups and established private and public companies to UK subsidiaries of multinational organisations and family businesses.
And here’s a flavour of the support we provide —
- Business structure and incorporation — ensuring you have the best set up from the start, with options such as a private limited liability company or a general partnership. Plus, we also advise on shareholder rights and obligations, as well as directors’ duties and compliance with legal restrictions, such as when it’s appropriate to extract money from the company.
- Terms and conditions — at some point the company will secure its first piece of business, we can prepare standard terms and conditions. However, it’ s often the case that larger and more established businesses might insist their terms and conditions apply. In that case, we can review those and suggest amendments to mitigate risk and liability.
- Your people — drafting statements of terms and conditions, advising on policies and legislative changes, and setting up incentive schemes. We can also help with disciplinary issues and compliance with employment law.
- Protecting — trusted advice on protecting and exploiting intellectual property rights such as copyright, design rights, confidential information, trademarks and patents.
- Premises — negotiating the best terms when you’re buying or leasing office space. We can also help you find a property through our extensive network of agents.
- Corporate governance — incorporating your business and taking care of annual statutory returns on your behalf, freeing up your time to concentrate on the business.
- Dispute resolution — we advise businesses defending themselves from claims and also pursuing other businesses (for example for damage to property, collection of overdue payments, protection of intellectual property rights or enforcement of employee obligations such as non-compete provisions).
And if you’re attending BeBrave, or work with Elevator UK, you can access our expertise with a free initial consultation, lasting up to an hour. Pop along and visit the team at the event or contact me to find out more about this offer.